Sunday, January 30, 2011

Recipe Tests

I've been trying new recipes and fiddling with old ones since the year began. Today, I am revisiting my recipe for "Mexican Meatballs"; I have always made the meatballs with chopped pickled jalapenos, but today I substituted pepperoncini -- because that's what I had on hand. I also had chipotles in adobo in the freezer, so one of them went into the sauce. It's all cooking slowly now; smells good, so we will see....

The other day, I tried a quick Chicken Paella which turned out very nice, although it seemed to me to taste more like a Puerto Rican "Arroz con Pollo" that a true Paella.

Hmmm....I seem to be on a spicy kick; must be the cold and snow that have led me down that path. But I plan to try a recipe for "Orzo with Pesto and Lemon" this week. Yes, pesto, which I make in the summer and freeze so I can enjoy it in the winter. BTW, I freeze it without the Parmesan cheese because the cheese loses some of its flavor when frozen. And stirring freshly-grated cheese into the defrosted Pesto is very easy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I have pesto in the freezer as well. Good for a nice quick dinner next week.

    ReplyDelete